Re: Aw: [stella] Color Tweaker, v1.0

Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Color Tweaker, v1.0
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:07:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Brian!
>
> > This does exactly what I want it to, except one thing: the fire button
> > still
> > acts wonky on the Atari. What's the normal way to debounce the fire button?
>
> Do one buffered read per frame and check if
> the current reading differs from the last.

Yeah, that would work, I still have plenty of RAM so it wouldn't hurt to have
a previous_button_state variable.

> >  lda INPT4
> >  and #$80 ; did player press fire button?
> >  bne skip_stick ; if not, skip the rest of this routine, otherwise...
>
> Later, when optimizing your source and struggling for every Bit,
> You'll probably do
>
> lda INPT4
> bmi NoFire

You know, it's an odd thing... I use BPL all the time, and for 20 years now
I've known about BMI, but for some reason I never think to use it until I get
into the `heavy optimisation' phase of a project. I don't know why that is...

*shrug* I probably crashed my Atari 800 when I was a kid, due to a misplaced
BMI instruction, and have been subliminally blaming it ever since :)

Adios,

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-