Aw: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Scenarios complete

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Scenarios complete
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:20:38 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Glenn!

> It's great that you are still working on this.  It's clearly in the last
> 10% phase right now and I would understand if you considered it done at any
> time.  That being said...

Well, early november I've a 3 weeks holiday and I
intended to spend another 2 complete weeks for the
final touches to make the final release version
of Gunfight. I think I might add the kernel comments
then as well, if you still need them. Actually I'd
have to reverse-engineer the timings out of the
Z26 log myself for that :-)

> With the arrows, why not make the scroll speed really fast?  That would
> create a new dynamic vs. the other obstacles.

Doable. *noted*

> Another idea for scrollable nondestrictible obstacles would be a
> stampede.  Again, fast moving.

I tried that, but I'm not able to draw some recognisable cattle
within the given color & resolution restrictions. It all turns
out to be some 'brown something' blobs. Same in black with
trains :-)

A train would look like this for example:

 #
###
###
###
###
###
###
###

Could be anything, or?

With the arrows I could at least add some colors to make them
recognisable, but cattle & trains are just brown & black...

It's somehow a shame. Those non-shootable objects could
in theory get very big, because I don't need to buffer
them in the RAM. But _since_ they're non-shootable, big
objects would render the scenario unplayable. Phew...

For example the scenario with the four cactii eats
three times the ROM space of the saloon, even when
threre's almost nothing on the screen. The complete
part between the cacti on Bottom/Top is just zeros...
Same for that primitive 'three rock scenario'.
As soon as the obstacle gets bigger, the cowboys
can either hide on 100% safe spots or there's no
more chance to get a diagonal bullet through to the
other side.

> If you randomized the pattern it would be
> pretty cool.

Not doable. There's not enough RAM for that.

Only thing to realize that would be hardcoding
some patterns in the ROM and randomly switching
between these given patterns.

Each of these patterns would eat some 40-60 bytes,
which I think is a bit of an overkill for that little
feature.

Greetings & thanks,
     Manuel

250 Visitenkarten GRATIS (zzgl. EUR 8,95 Porto)!
Hochwertige, vollfarbige Visitenkarten. Ideal für Privat & Büro.
http://www.nexgo.de/c/pub/redir.php/vistaprint

-