Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:55:04 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Brian, Thomas!

> B. Watson wrote:
> > > Oh... I wish people would start browsing the archive instead of
> > > reinventing the wheel every half a year :-)

> > But how else are we to learn how wheels are made?

If I want to learn how to drive a car, I don't need to
know how wheels are made. :-)

> Sure, but I think, Manuels point was meant different:
> While trying to make that wheel, if there are problems occuring, THEN
> everybody should first have a look into the archives, because in most cases,
> the problem isn't new and the answer is already there and waiting.

Yup! But that's only a part of it. Another important aspect is,
that I don't want to deal with X slightly altered DASM versions.

It'd be ok to add the @...X...X graphics format to Thomas
(most recent) version. Good idea, nice thing. Cool to have feature.

But what's the point in having two different illegal opcode enabled
DASMs, both with different usages?

Here I come, take another DASM, say 'Nah! illegal opcodes, not for me!'
put in a §__#_____ graphics format and publish it without illegal
opcode support. Voilà - One more DASM.

Next day I want to compile a new [STELLA] source - Ooops wrong DASM!
Version DASM_Saunders_2001_build_friday needed.

There's really no offense intended, but for me one DASM is enough.
Evolve that one version step by step (just like Z26 - it works!)
Ok - But don't have everybody brewing his own...

Phew... again, this was not meant to step on your toes Brian,
I really think it's cool that you want to update DASM,
but please, start from the right point.

If you had known about Thomas' version right from the start,
you'd have used his version as a base, I'm sure.

That's all what I meant with:
"I wish people would start browsing the archive"

Greetings,
     Manuel

Bei unserem Shoppingpartner waltherliving erhalten Sie einen Gutschein im
Wert von DM 10,00 für Ihren nächsten Onlineeinkauf! Einfach hier abrufen
http://www.nexgo.de/c/pub/redir.php/living1

-