Re: [stella] Matt Dillon

Subject: Re: [stella] Matt Dillon
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:47:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeSrc/
>
> There is a newer version of DASM available, version 2.14.

Ah! The licensing for v2.14 is a bit different:

(from the dasm.doc for 2.14):

This is different from v2.12, which said:

>    (C)Copyright 1987,1988 Matthew Dillon, All Rights Reserved
>
>    Publicly distributable for non-profit only.  Must be distributed
>    as is, with NO CHANGES to the documentation or code.  If you want
>    your (general) changes to be made part of the distribution, send
>    them to me.

Nothing in 2.14 says anything about not being allowed to redistribute
modified source/binaries... so if we want to make a Stella-specific ver.
of DASM, we can base it on DASM 2.14, as long as nobody sells any copies
commercially. Technically, we don't even have to talk to Matt about it,
but I would anyway, out of respect...

I'm thinking of getting in touch with him, to see what his opinion on
the Olaf Seibert mods to v2.12 is... some of that stuff is handy. I'd
like to port those to 2.14 (probably will be very simple).

> This source is for FreeBSD so I don't know how portable it is.  But Matt may
> still be working on it.  We may want to email him about the status of his
> code and how it should be developed.

According to dasm.doc, the source code is ANSI C compliant, so it should be
more portable than 2.12, not less... anyway nothing DASM does is platform-
specific except maybe some assumptions it makes about stuff like the size
of an integer (which may be fixed in 2.14). Most likely, the source code on
his page will compile on DOS, Win, and any Unix, with no or few modifications.

Man, this is good news...

B.

-