Re: [stella] reading the driving controllers, generic thoughts

Subject: Re: [stella] reading the driving controllers, generic thoughts
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:53:08 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:

>How does your code handle isolating the left or right nybble
>(controller 0 or controller 1)?

It doesn't :-)

But after lda SWCHA you could insert the same code as Eckhard
does:

	lda SWCHA
	cpx #1		; x = player number (0,1)
	beq .player1
	lsr
	lsr
	lsr
	lsr
.player1:

BTW: Did you notice, that Eckhard's solution is nearly
identical with my first one?

>Last night I was thinking of yet another way to do it where
>you store the possible previous and next controller states
>(which could be done with two nybbles or strip out the always
>set bits and store the entire thing in one nybble per byte.
>
>Then you could mask and shift bits in order to merge the real-
>time last and current controller state and scan once through
>the table. Depending on the number range of the match, it will
>be in the left or right half of the table.

That should work too, but I'm sure, it would be slower
(scanning!) and larger than the other solutions.

Have fun!
Thomas

-