Re: [stella] New to 2600 Programming

Subject: Re: [stella] New to 2600 Programming
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:25:54 +0100
> I've been playing the Atari 2600 since I was a kid and
> the other night decided to get into programming. I've
> sort of touched Intel ASM before. I downloaded several
> manuals and text files, the DASM assembler, and a
> sample program (How to Draw a Playfield). I've been
> goofing around with the code and doing different
> things. I noticed that the drawing of the playfield
> occurs with .byte commands. What do the hex codes
> mean, and how does the .byte command work, so I can
> customize with my own colors and drawings?

Not quite. The .byte commands just tell the assembler
to include the following bytes at that position into
the binary. This allows you to create some data tables.
Your code can then read the data from that table and
write it into the playfield registers etc. The format
of the graphics tables that the drawing routine in
'How to draw a Playfield' uses is explained quite nicely
in the source code, I think.

Since you know Intel assembler a bit, '.byte' is the
equivalent of 'db' in MASM.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg