Aw: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Final Release Version

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Final Release Version
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:33:07 +0100 (CET)
Hi Eckhard!

> > Can someone please confirm, for (hopefully!) the last
> > time, if these binaries work fine on real PAL/NTSC
> > consoles?

> I tried your binaries on my Cuttle Cart and on my 7800 RAM
> cart. They crashed everytime because of the "hacking
> prevention code".

Fine :-)

> After hacking the PAL ROM (I just had
> to replace one RTS with a NOP ;-) ) the game played fine
> on both of my consoles.

Rats! I knew I should've implemented those tests
checking if the routine is still intact!

Apart from that it's good to know that everything works fine
beyond that obstacle... :-)

As for the "hacking prevention code": That really is exactly what
it is intended to be.
(Rendering the BINs unusable for the Cuttle Cart
is a nice extra bonus I wasn't even thinking of  :-))

Ha! You pirate scum! If you want to play Gunfight on the
real thing, buy the cartridge! Hehe... :-)

Of course I'm aware that anybody on this list is able to remove
that code in next to no time, but I'm sure it prevents 99%
of the editgfx users from turning my cowboys into Bin Ladens... :-)

> I don't know if there would be
> a difference between Randy's EPROM cartridges and the
> RAM systems that I used, but obviously the "checksum"
> is different between the emulators and my real VCS setup.

Do you know where and why the checksum differs?

Isn't that a 'bad sign' about the Cuttle Carts compatibility?

The only other thing I can think of is that Z26
might calculate the wrong checksum... oh-oh...
somebody should check this...

Is the 4K ROM image used within the Cuttle Cart matching
to-the-bit with the BIN I sent?

Of course I've to see what happens to the checksum on
Randy's EPROM cartridges. I probably just remove the
code again in the BINs I send to Randy.

Greetings,
     Manuel

Sparalarm bei Zooplus! 10% auf alle Bestellungen!
http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/zoorabatt