Re: [stella] Euchre: up against the wall again

Subject: Re: [stella] Euchre: up against the wall again
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:35:53 -0600

Before I make such a drastic shift in direction in my game, I'd like to solicit the opinions of the list. Should I cut out the messages, considering them a luxury I cannot afford? Should I instead look to trim down images further and/or change to a joystick for input? Is there another option that I'm not considering and should?

I had a really tight squeeze with my 255 game multicart menu. It was a lot of text for 4k.

Are you really using all 26 alphabet characters? Maybe you can reword some messages to avoid using less common letters like V or X, then drop the data for those characters. And null terminating messages sometimes saves space. Also, you can combine a few letter graphics like "U" and "H", or "I" and "T". I got this from Dark Mage/Stellar Track.

       dc.b $7C ; | XXXXX  | $F549
       dc.b $C6 ; |XX   XX | $F54A
       dc.b $C6 ; |XX   XX | $F54B
       dc.b $C6 ; |XX   XX | $F54C
       dc.b $C6 ; |XX   XX | $F54D
       dc.b $C6 ; |XX   XX | $F54E
       dc.b $FE ; |XXXXXXX | $F54F
       dc.b $C6 ; |XX   XX | $F550
       dc.b $C6 ; |XX   XX | $F551

You sound like you want to stick with 4k, but why not go up to an 8k cartridge? That would give you a lot of freedom.

-Paul