Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Euchre: up against the wall again

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Euchre: up against the wall again
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:24:27 +0100
Hi Erik!

>Stuff like that. It sums up. Maybe I find some time
>over the weekend to compile a list of where and how you
>could save bytes.

Well, one first thing is, that the source doesn't
compile. Seems like there's numerous equates missing
somewhere:

MBOL LIST:  (Unresolved symbols only)
  PF_Score ????(r )
 VS_Enable ????(r )
 VB_Enable ????(r )
        lt ????(r )
        gt ????(r )
PF_Reflect ????(r )
VB_DumpPots ????(r )
P_ThreeClose ????(r )
P_TwoClose ????(r )
  J0_Right ????(r )

As for suggestions:

- Pack this into a subroutine:
WaitTimer
           lda INTIM
           bne WaitVBlank
		rts

Since you're waiting for the timer 11 times, this'd save
you already ~20 bytes.

I'm not sure why you wait that often for something,
normally you'd only wait for the overscan and for vblank
to finish, BTW.

- On one location you do
    lda #9  ; 8 lines
    sta INTIM
    -> You can safely remove this :-)

- Replace
    lda SWCHB
    and #$01
    cmp #$01
    beq CheckStages

  with
    lda SWCHB
    lsr
    bcs CheckStages

- remove all
    jmp EndCase

  In your switch/case implementation.

- Try using a different random number generator. (Sorry
  Erik :-))

More later. It'd help if you'd provide a compilable
source...

Greetings,
	Manuel