Re: [stella] VCS.H standardization

Subject: Re: [stella] VCS.H standardization
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:51:32 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> ;VIDEO SYNC
> VS_Enable           = 2

If it were up to me, I'd rather not have MixedCase labels.. Dasm handles
them fine, but treats VS_Enable, vs_enable, VS_ENABLE, and vS_eNaBlE as
4 different symbols.. MAC/65 doesn't allow lowercase at all, and would
choke on the include file. (actually.. MAC/65 requires line numbers anyway)
I prefer to use lowercase_only names for variables & labels, and UPPER_ONLY
for constants defined with = (like RED = $36).. not to say my coding style
should be the standard everybody else uses, but pointing out a side effect
of standardizing on One True Set of Equates..

it looks like all the stelladoc-defined labels are CAPS with no _ in them..
maybe the presence of the _ could be enough of an indicator that `this is
a constant, not a mem. location'..

Maybe we could do something clever, like allow the programmer to define
UPPER_LABELS = 1 or Mixed_Labels = 1 or lower_labels = 1 before including
the file, and have stella.h contain conditional assembly using the IF or
IFCONST directives..

That way I could use my UGLY_LABELS and you could use Your_Labels, but we
could both use the same stella.h and compile each others' code without
modifications..

Probably I'm making too big a thing out of it.. it would be enough to define
all 3 sets of labels, and let the programmer mix & match. I just know I
personally would go insane trying to remember which letter are caps..

B.