[stella] Dealing with 8k in DASM

Subject: [stella] Dealing with 8k in DASM
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:50:32 -0600
I'm now using 8k for my Synthcart with F8 bankswitching. I have the bankswitching working okay, but the way I'm doing things is a bit awkward.

I have the first 4k bank in $1000-$1FFF and the second bank in $2000-$2FFF. The problem is that when I use labels in the second bank, they of course translate to $2xxx, but the Atari doesn't seem to like that. I have to subtract $1000 from every label reference to make it $1xxx.

So say I have the function beatBox in the second bank. When I call it, I have to say:

JSR beatBox-$1000

It works fine this way, but it's easy to make mistakes and difficult to move functions between banks. Surely there's a more elegant way to handle this.

-Paul