Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Sorting Algorithms.

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Sorting Algorithms.
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:41:31 +0100
Manuel wrote:
>Well, in this example the zero would be sorted to the beginning
>in one iteration, but:
>Having 1,2,3,4,5,6 and adding the 7 at the _beginning_, would
>be worst case, or? And that can happen any time, I think.

Why would you add something at the beginning, if you know that causes worst case? ;-)

My (non standard!) pseudocode looks like this: (sorting n+1 elements)
  for i = 0 to n-1
    for j = n-1 downto i
      if y[j+1] < y[j] then swap(j, j+1)

So, I will always add at the end, no matter what value.

>Hm... to always have stuff inserted at one side, you'd
>have to shift all indexes together, once an object
>disappears, right? Hm.... hm... might work.

Yes, removing from the list should be done seperate.

>Then the max number of (outerloop) iterations = number
>of objects inserted, yes?

Nearly. Add 1 to recognize, that the list is sorted.

Have fun!
Thomas