Re: [stella] Weird timing bug, I think...help!

Subject: Re: [stella] Weird timing bug, I think...help!
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:58:38 +0200
At 20.04.2002, 19:11, Adam Thornton wrote:
> And I ran to plug it in...and....

> The text is unreadable.  It's doing this weird sort of
> horizontal-wrapping thing, and some text is appearing in the overscan
> area, and in general it looks like I'm just taking too many cycles per
> scan line.  And the colors are weird and fadey.

I don't know why it works on SC, but I think there is a problem with
VSYNC. Your code (@Manuel: availabe at AtariAge :-) looks like this:

    lda #2          ;bit 1 needs to be 1 to start retrace
    sta VSYNC       ;start retrace
    sta WSYNC       ;wait a few lines
    sta WSYNC
    lda #44         ;prepare timer to exit blank period
    sta TIM64T      ;turn it on
    sta WSYNC       ;wait one more
    sta VSYNC       ;done with retrace, write 0 to bit 1

The problem might be, that you don't do 3 full lines of VSYNC. The first
WSYNC happens (according to z26) after about 1/3 of the line. Then you
are doing two more WSYNCs. So you only do 2 2/3 lines of VSYNC, but you
should do at least 3 full lines. Adding one more WSYNC might solve that
problem. But I'm not 100% sure.

Did you change that part of code or is that original Dark Mage code? If
it's original code, then does Dark Mage work on your TV?

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |