Re: OFF TOPIC: Re: [stella] help! distella -> dasm case sensitivity

Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC: Re: [stella] help! distella -> dasm case sensitivity
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 13:37:04 -0400
5/6/2002 1:22:29 PM, Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>At 09:26 AM 5/4/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>Honestly though, Hungarian notation (or another convention that keeps
>>variable type and variable scope in variable names, like "gs_foo" for a
>>global string) makes even commentless code so much easier to follow I
>>can't see why anyone *wouldn't* use it in Java, C, VB, C#, etc.  When I
>>have to update legacy code or work on a team at work, I'd say I get up to
>>speed on large sub/functs/methods twice as quickly when Hungarian notation
>>(or something equal) is used.
>
>What happens when you decide to change the scoping/typing of a
>variable?  You need to do a global search and replace on every instance of
>the variable name?

Exactly.  Changing the scoping/typing of a variable in a software project of
any significant size shouldn't be done lightly.  Strict adherence to a Hungarian
dialect makes you think about it, and in fact makes you more likely to determine
it correctly in the first place instead of having to change a hastily written
definition later.

Of course, care is needed - if you search and replace on mlRecord, what
happens to the variable named mlRecordNumber...