[stella] Ruffin Bailey's Disassembly of missile.bin

Subject: [stella] Ruffin Bailey's Disassembly of missile.bin
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 24 Jun 2002 23:35:06 -0000
Hiya...
I was looking at Ruffin Bailey's Disassembly of missile.bin, trying
to tweak some things and learn what's going on.  One thing I don't
understand...a couple times it has
  LDA #  ;some postitive value
  STA HMM0;

(once with Y instead of the Accumulator)
when I replace that number with #00 , the missile is still moving to
the right, seemingly at the same speed.  What am I missing here?
(a lot I imagine..."I assume the HMM0 commands are self-explanatory"
my right big toenail! ;-)

Eventually I'd like to make a series of tutorial demos of
increasing complexity...one thing about "how to draw a playfield"
is that I think most newbies are more anxious to get players and
missiles going than the backdrops.  So I'd try to start with a
very clean moving missile, then maybe moving player, or moving
a missle with the joystick, and maybe one or two up from there.
Ultimately, it might be cool to work it up on a kiddy version of
Outlaw, though by that point I'll probably get distracted by my
own game ideas, which are generally as simple or simpler than that.
I'd like to keep the code very very clean, and so I'll probably
bring stuff here for comments...hoping to get the most straight-
forward (yet reasonably effecient) code, rather than the cleverest.
(Or when I have to be clever, big comments explaining wht I'm
up to.)

But, I still have a bunch to learn 'til I can do even that, so...
back to the .asm !

The Panglossian pessimist says, "Isn't it a shame that this is,
after all, the best of all possible worlds!" Imagine a beer comercial:
as the sun sets over the mountains, one of the hunks lounging around
the campfire intones, "It doesn't get any better than this!" -- at
which point his beautiful companion burts into tears: "Oh no! Is that
really true?" It wouldn't sell much beer.
        --Daniel Dennett, "Darwin's Dangerous Idea"