Re: [stella] Hello World

Subject: Re: [stella] Hello World
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 8 Jul 2002 12:51:56 -0000
> At 03:37 AM 7/8/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> >Not a bad rough explanation, though I'd say that that just describes
> >the first of the two lines, the second is then
> >PF0 = A
>
> If there really were a basic interpreter for the 2600, though, stuff like
> that would be implemented via pokes:
>
> POKE(PF0,A)
>
> where PF0 is a variable pointing to the address of the PF0 register, or
> you'd just use the constant to save memory.

Yeah, that's a good point...this "translation" into BASIC is
metaphorical, and a stricter, more accurate if there were BASIC for
the Atari (besides the infamous cart...I want to try my hand at that
someday, I know some guy has made a series of tiny tiny games for
that) is possible.

> >horizontal inertia, just movement) that I'm almost tempted to add in
> >a "JoustSoccer" variant, with smaller goals (not the whole side of the
> >screen) and the ability to fly anywhere to bump the ball.
>
> You mean Joust Polo, right?

Well, that's the thing...I'm getting more worried about use of
the characters/graphics of Joust.  Besides the possible copyright
issue, I'd feel more obligated to try to get the physics (and, say,
the "running" graphics) of Joust perfect, and I'm not sure if that
*exact*, and I'm not sure if that's the best use of resources.
I'll have to see if "Soccer/Polo" comes together, collisions might
be a pain.

And if I do get Polo into the mix, "JoustPong" isn't an appropriate
title anyway. Maybe I should go with "Flap" (or maybe a tribute to
M.U.L.E. and H.E.R.O. and call it F.L.A.P., Flying Legion of
Attacking Pongbats or somesuch)

"No why.  Just here."  -John Cage, Life Magazine's "Why are we here"