Re: [stella] Re: vcs.h

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: vcs.h
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:19:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, John Saeger wrote:

> So how do you feel about changing the names to lower case?  Personally I
> find my pinky's are wearing out.  Have you ever got a cramp in your pinky
> and had to go home early?  It's rough.

DASM has a switch (I forget what it is, I'm at work) that causes it
to ignore case in labels. Just make sure you put a comment in your code
letting people know to use that switch when they assemble your file... It
may be -i, can't remember.

Also, as long as we're defining a canonical vcs.h, there's no reason it
can't include 2 identical sets of constants, one in uppercase and the
other in lower. Sure, it doubles the file size, but the file is tiny
to begin with.

I don't think making the names longer is a great idea... you'll end up
with one group of people talking about WSYNC and VSYNC, and the other
group talking about waitForSync and verticalSync... sort of a Tower of
Babel effect. Also, there may be people *still* using assemblers that
can only handle 5 or 6 character labels (what's the max. length of a
label in MAC/65?)

Just my $0.02 worth..

B.