Re: [stella] vcs.h topics

Subject: Re: [stella] vcs.h topics
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:51:16 +0200
Erik wrote:
> If we have a standard constants list, should it be part of vcs.h or should it
> be another file that can also be included during compilation?

Another file! So everybody is free to use it. There exists a lot of code that
uses the register equates but it's own constants. Those might interfere with
the standard ones.

> Do we want to use the register names that are in the Stella Programmer's
> Guide or do we want to deviate and use longer names?

I'd prefer to keep the short names. You can spot them quite easy in my
sourcecode, because my variable and constant names tend to be quite
long. :-)

> Should equates be in all capital letters as they are now? ?Mixed-case? ?
> Lower-case only? ?What about constants, if we make a file of those? ?Should
> the constants have prefixes to indicate what they are used for (such as
> BL_Quad for a quadruple-width ball)? ?How long should the constant names be?

I'd prefer all capital letters. Prefixing is a good idea (BL_QUAD), but make them
not too long, else people will be too lazy to use them.

> Do we even call it vcs.h? ?If we do, it might be necessary to make it
> backward-compatible with the more commonly used vcs.h variants. ?If we call
> it something else - like stella.h - we wouldn't have that concern, plus it
> would be easy to figure out which header file you need if you find yourself
> with a source file but no header.

As I said above vcs.h should contain only the register equates. The other file
(e.g. vcsconst.h) should be separately included in the source code.

Have?fun!
Thomas
Thomas?Jentzsch?????????|?***?Every?bit?is?sacred?!?***
tjentzsch?at?web?dot?de?|

WEB.DE MyPage - Ultimatives Kommunikationstool! Ihre Message sofort
online! Domain aenderbar! http://www.das.ist.aber.ne.lustige.sache.ms/