[stella] Newbie lesson relearned - WSYNC & HMOVE

Subject: [stella] Newbie lesson relearned - WSYNC & HMOVE
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:32:38 -0400
If you don't learn your history, you're condemned to repeat it, or something like that.

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/199808/msg00066.html

And that's why missile.asm didn't work for Kirk, I'd imagine. The missile.asm file was left over from the beginning of that thread, and at least two people replied to suggest I move the hit to HMOVE to immediately after a WSYNC. I'm afraid I'd been using (and was still using) Stella 0.7 which doesn't show that mistake's effects. I've started using Stella 1.1.2 on the Mac now. I apologize for the bins I'd kicked out recently as well; same problem was still taboo.

Here's the clip that needed to be changed:

; SCREEN DRAW
LF07D: LDA    INTIM   ;4  Here's the screen draw routine.
       BNE    LF07D   ;2
       STA    WSYNC   ;3

; move HMOVE after WSYNC? -- um, yes
STA HMOVE ;3 DON'T FORGET TO HIT HMOVE!! or the object won't move
; horizontally. I might have forgotten that for a while,
; causing nearly unbearable psychological pain.
etc etc etc

I'm attaching the updated code. I think the joystick reading routine is pretty easy to follow, and the later demos also have joystick button presses handled. Once I get frames of animation working for the players, I'll post an updated and HMOVE-fixed demo with better HMOVE hits.

Ruffin Bailey
http://myfreakinname.blogspot.com