Re: [stella] Euchre: light on the horizon

Subject: Re: [stella] Euchre: light on the horizon
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:18:58 -0400
On Tuesday 16 July 2002 01:53 pm, zu03776 wrote:
> From the user interface standpoint, it would be nice if your cards would
> scroll up in the list when you play one, or that the blue bar would land
> on the first card available in your hand.

I'll keep this in mind if I have the bytes to spare.  The latter suggestion
would probably be easier to implement.  (I once saw an Atari 8-bit computer
Euchre act in much the same way.)

> Have you thought about expanding the green background above and below
> the trick display?  It might help give a playing at a table feel.

Actually, I've been considering dropping the green background entirely, or
making it just a few lines at the top and bottom.  It would hide the black
HMOVE bars.  :)

> Did you program a minimum delay for the computer opponents to play their
> cards?  For the situation where everyone has only one card left, a
> shorter delay may be appropriate.

I did, but it's a constant, and to make it vary would require more precious
bytes to be sacrificed.  Also, the other board and card games I've played,
such as Backgammon, have a varying time for making decision but the
"animation" of plays is consistent.

> the game delays between the person on the right playing before I can select
> a card, and there's no delay between my play of a card and the person on
> the left playing.  Shouldn't that be opposite?

I noticed that early on, but it hasn't been a priority.  The computer
actually decides on its play in two frames and then shows it.  The delay is
between showing one player's card and moving on to the next player.  It also
allows for a delay between laying the last card of a trick and adding a trick
to the counters.

> Every time I select A from the P U A menu, my partner doesn't play, and
> I get beat.  Is this correct?  :)

Yes.  :)  A stands for "alone", an option you can select to play without your
partner if you feel your hand is very good.  The advantage is if you get all
five tricks on your own, your team scores four points instead of the usual
two.

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 04:08 pm, Paul Slocum wrote:
> Probably the sound effects could be done without using any extra RAM by
> just adding sound into the routines that handle the game logic.  I added
> sound effects to Marble Craze this way. And you've already got status
> variables and at least one delay counter, so you can just use those
> existing status/counter variables to time and modulate your sound effects.

I'm not all that short on RAM at this point.  (I know, it's not good to be
wasteful, but my primary concern now is ROM.)  I found a good "song" playing
routine in Bob Colbert's Okie Dokie that I might "appropriate".  (You don't
mind, do you Bob?  <g>)  It would allow me to play a few tones in certain
situations, such as multi-point scores, plus keep all the sound
considerations in one place rather than scattering them throughout the
already convoluted game logic.

Thanks for the suggestions!