[stella] 10-in-1 Toymax

Subject: [stella] 10-in-1 Toymax
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 08:00:11 -0400
At 05:59 PM 8/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Boy, that was tough to track down. Here's some 10-in-1 info. I think
>I'll be picking up two of these pretty quickly -- one to play with and one
>to rip to pieces.

Don't know what you intend to gain by ripping it apart. There isn't much
to hack with inside it. It's just a tiny glob of epoxy, I believe.

The hope was that the games weren't on the same chip as everything else, but I take it you're suggesting that they are. If they weren't, you could (maybe ?) solder in a cart slot somehow if the design lent itself to that. Course you wouldn't know until you'd ripped the thing apart -- or at least looked through the groovy plastic. There's also the possibility of doing some VCSp-like hack, which would be much more straightforward with this hardware.

So there's just one chip in this thing? Not even a separate chunk of hardware holding the ROMs, even if it isn't something easy to hack? I'd have to think at least the ROMs are out separate so that making ones with new games (eg, this Atari 10-in-1 (versus the Activision 10-in-1 I'd forgotten about)) would be less costly. Do you know if the "VCS hardware" in this unit is a different version than the last, perhaps?

I also noticed that it doesn't produce HMOVE lines (so the TIA really isn't exactly a TIA, as Glenn had suggested about a year ago) and that this new Atari version should have Combat. Do they realize Combat isn't much fun as a one player game? (Which also gave me the idea to start messing with AI with Combat -- unfortunately this sounds about as much fun as adding AI to any other "action" game, ie "really tough".)

Thanks,

Ruffin Bailey
http://myfreakinname.blogspot.com