RE: [stella] 10-in-1 Toymax

Subject: RE: [stella] 10-in-1 Toymax
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:26:53 -0700
At 09:24 PM 8/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:
Here is a picture of the board inside the Activision one:

http://www.atarihq.com/danb/images/toymax.jpg

There are two epoxy blobs but it doesn't appear as if one was ROM and
the other was the system. The large blob has all the inputs going to it
and the smaller one has the video signals coming out of it.

Maybe I have missed a discussion of this but is it known that this is
cloned hardware? Are the title and instruction screen that the unit
displays within the capabilities of the 2600 or would they have to have
added extra hardware to generate these?

Ken Love told me what's inside these things but I'm under NDA so I can't really say specifically how these work. But I think it's fair to say that this is not running a clone of the 2600 chipset. If we were to do it, sure, but it would take more R&D effort than those parties involved would ever care to invest.

Give that, one can easily guess what they probably did.