[stella] Interlace Game demo

Subject: [stella] Interlace Game demo
From: Billy Eno <ceno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 21:10:50 -0500
Attached is the source and .bin for the game-like demo I am working on. Turns out there are a lot of gotchas with the whole interlaced thing. Every field effectively hangs around for 1/30th of a second, with each field overlapping the other by 1/60th of a second. Thus, if you move a sprite, it will tear unless you give the other field a 1/30th of a second to disappear, and then draw your new sprite. But that makes the sprite flicker which is very annoying. But if you don't do that, then the sprite tears, that is also annoying. My sub-optimal solution was to draw the sprite in such a shape that you don't really notice that it is tearing.

At any rate. I am posting all this now, because I may not be able to get back to it for a few weeks. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has some good suggestions.

Right now, all there "game" has is a little ship that moves around.

What I do think interlacing will be good for is drawing multiple sprites in different frames. To me, the flicker from interlacing is a little less annoying than the flicker of alternatint frames. Though that could be because of the colors I am using.

Regards,
Billy