Re: [stella] Euchre: Beta

Subject: Re: [stella] Euchre: Beta
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:18:39 +0200
> Thanks for letting me know that!  It's very difficult to set the colors
> properly, since the NTSC convention of high four bytes for hue and low
four
> bytes for luminance doesn't seem to apply to PAL.  At least, it didn't
appear
> to when I was trying to find decent colors under Stella.  I'll play with
the
> red (I'm assuming both the suit and the score) settings a bit.

That is a bug in Stella up to version 1.1. It was corrected in version
1.2. The VCS only has 8 levels of luminance. The lowest bit isn't
evaluated. I have included a little colour test program for you that I use
for finding colours. It shows all 128 possible VCS colours on the screen
at once, so it should be easy to find something suitable.

> How's the stability?  Does the screen shudder at all?  I'd like to know if
> have the right number of scan lines.

I didn't really play the game, so I can't say much about stability.
But just loading and starting the game with RESET didn't cause any
problems on my system. Z26 shows you how many scanlines you do per
frame if you use video mode 9. There I noticed that you are generating
less scanlines while the RESET button is pressed. But that is the
case in the NTSC version as well. It's no real problem though.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg