Re: [stella] Is the FAQ being maintained?

Subject: Re: [stella] Is the FAQ being maintained?
From: "Mark Graybill" <saundby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:34:45 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
To: <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 11:47 PM

> Hi Mark!
>
> I'd be very happy if someone would start maintaining it.
> As far as I know it currently is completely abandoned.

I'd be glad to do a single-pass update/rewrite on it to whip it into shape,
at least. As far as long-term maintenance I couldn't say at present.

> You should talk to the dig keeper. And maybe Brian
> Watson or Glenn Sounders have some material that
> should/could be added to the FAQ.

I'll do that. There's heaps of information in the archives as well as in the
heads of the list members here. I've been spending quite a bit of time
scanning the archives over the past couple of weeks (I post few questions
here because I'm finding most of the answers I'm seeking are already out
there.) It would be nice to centralize some of the basic stuff, and provide
links to the more involved treatments out there (e.g. Stella Programming
101, etc.)

> Projects like that (FAQs, Programmer guides, Crash
> Courses, Tutorials, Workshops etc. ) are thought of
> every 1/2 a year here and usually die rather quickly :-)

I've noticed that in reading the archives. Writing projects tend to grow in
size rather quickly, and they compete directly with the assembler and the
ROM burner for time--I haven't noticed a lot of people who've come to the
Stella ML because they want to be a writer. ;)

What I'll do then is make the contacts you recommend and start compiling.
I'll take it a piece at a time, posting requests for the bits I'm about to
start working on, putting things together, then post the individual sections
for comments as they take form. Maybe we can get another step or two closer
to an actual FAQ/guide.

I'm hoping I can find my old Mostek databooks sometime in the not too
distant future. I'd like to get the actual info on the 6507 that was once
available out on the web. Right now all there seems to be is the CSG
overview of their microprocessor family, even the chipdir and GIICM don't
have the pinout. If anyone has any of the old manuals on servicing the Atari
400/800 peripherals, they probably have the data on the chip, since it was
used in a lot of them.

Anyway, I still have a lot of the data on the chip in my head, so I can at
least bring the FAQ up from guessing that it's an 18-pin IC (it's a 28-pin.)
I was also planning on contributing some references to 6502 programming
books.

Thanks,

Mark G.