Re: [stella] FE, 3F, Bankswitching, and Data lines

Subject: Re: [stella] FE, 3F, Bankswitching, and Data lines
From: "Matthias Hartl" <maze@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:41:38 +0100
> While I was making my cart, I put a frequency counter on A12 and got about
> 1Mhz for access.  I now this isnt the best way to do it, but it was enough
for
> me to realize that there was no way my microcontroller was going to be
able to
> make it.  Remember that some microcontrollers take multiple clock cycles
per
> instruction.  I was running at 20MHz but, at 4 cycles per instruction I
was
> really at 5MHz.  Thats at best 5 instructions per cart read!  Not enough
time
> for me.  I looked into CPLDs.  I have always been afraid of them, but
after a
> little research they are a piece of cake to use.  Look into Xilix XC9500
> series.  The design software is free and I found a tutorial at
http://www.al-
> williams.com/pbx84.htm.  I even ended up buying the al williams
development
> board and programmer (which is incredibly cheap compared to anything else
> could find).  Their programmer works with the Xilix software.  If I can
figure
> it out, anyone can.

I don't think you really need a full blown FPGA like the mentioned Xilinx
XC9500 to do bank-switch emulation in hardware. Some of the simple schemes
(F6, F8, FA) can easily be implemented using a cheap Programmable Gate Array
like a PAL20V16. I haven't tried though, but you can try yourself. Get
yourself some VHDL compiler and select a PAL20V16 or GAL20V16 as target
architecture and check if your code can be synthesized in one of these.
Shouldn't be too hard.

With kind regards,
Matthias