[stella] Collaboration

Subject: [stella] Collaboration
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:29:24 -0800
At 10:15 PM 1/11/2003 +0100, Thomas wrote:
One thing I have learned when optimizing code: Never say never! ;-)

Depends on who you are. I think you're the only one who could possibly get my DD kernel working the way I was hoping to do it. I think it's clear to everyone in the scene that you are overall the most skilled active VCS coder on the planet.

Since you went as far with the Rubik's Cube challengeas you did, and since there is a running theme right now of developers furthering other developers' work like Fu Kung...

Maybe if you get bored, as another technical challenge let's see you finish the DD kernel to the point where the two cars are movable will single-scanline accuracy (constant velocity is fine for now) and can be on the same scanline and two gremlins offset by even/odd scanlines who move in 2-scanline jumps (like Super Challenge Football does it). I'm sure it's possible but I don't think I can ever do it, as simple as it may sound to you ;)

I didn't ask you to finish it off because this was the main challenge of writing the game--to get the kernel to work. Plugging in the gameplay, animations, and sound during VBLANK would be easy in comparison and I would never be able to even claim half credit if that's all I did.

But if you are interested enough in DD, please go ahead and I'll gladly finish the game on the 2600 instead of the Atari8, but I'd really only be able to justify a design credit on it.

I'm not _as_ motivated to finish it on the A8 because the game concept is so minimal in comparison to what the A8 can do and the idea was to answer the question "what if Atari ported the game in '77 or '78 (if it could fit in 2K) or '79 if 4K?"