Re: [stella] Collaboration

Subject: Re: [stella] Collaboration
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:59:19 +0100
Glenn wrote:
> Note: from the VHS footage I have, DR only had one gremlin on screen at a time.
> I just think the gameplay would benefit greatly by having two with the
> protect/chase aspect going simultaneously.  But it's something to fall back
> on in a worst case.

> I'd also finish the game even if we had to use Supercharger RAM as a
> cheat.  Then it could be distributed on mini CD-Rs which might be
> cool.  I'm sure it could be considerably easier to do this kernel if the
> missile widths, missile positions, and sprite graphics were all stored in
> strips of RAM.

I don't think that this will be necessary. :-)

> I have spent a considerable effort designing the gameplay.  I would very
> much be looking forward to the iterative process of playtesting and
> tweaking the gameplay.  That's what I found most interesting back in the
> Oystron days on the other end.  I was playtesting the game a lot and I
> think that helped contribute to the final game.  It's the kernel that
> enables the game to be possible, but it's the playtesting loop that makes
> the game great.

Agreed. IMO you always need both, a good kernel and good gameplay to make
a great game.

I have attached a very preliminary working demo. It only contains two of
the four needed kernels and still has some minimal flaws at the right
border. I rewrote it from scratch, but I tried to use Glenns variable
and constant names.

But you can already see both cars and one zombie moving smoothly, plus
another zombie that is jumping by one line (because the correct kernels
is still missing).

The only thing that is NOT possible is a zombie pattern with a
completely empty line. Therefore I had to adjust the Ped1_1 pattern very
slightly at the neck.

I'm now very positive that Death Derby will be possible. :-)

And I hope this will encourage Glenn to continue his work.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |