Re: [stella] Emulation suggestion

Subject: Re: [stella] Emulation suggestion
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:50:34 -0500
>Just an idea for emulation authors (stella, Z26...):
>
>Perhaps we could have a simulation of phosphour persistance?  That is, each
>frame is merged with a faint version of the previous frame... that way we
>could more easily see what things might look like on a real-TV.  Would stop
>me getting epilepsy during development of Fu Kung!
>
>Seriously, though.... doesn't sound like a hard ask.  Does anyone else think
>this might be of use?

It was also suggested long ago that an emulator could handle flicker with
a venetian-blinds effect.  Draw one frame on every other scanline (every
Atari scanline; every other VGA scanline), then the next frame on the
interleaved frames.  The visual quality would be questionable, but it
would surely be easier to code and run faster than faking phosphor
persistence, and for this I think would certainly be less
headache-inducing than flicker.

(If one of the emulators supports this already, ignore me; I haven't been
keeping up to date on them. :) )