[stella] The Demo Image Series #5 - PAL & NTSC Compatible

Subject: [stella] The Demo Image Series #5 - PAL & NTSC Compatible
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:07:06 +1100
All these sample images use P1 difficulty switch to switch between PAL and
NTSC version.  That's F7/F8 on my Z26.  Note, Z26 (my version, anyway)
doesn't recalc the palette once it thinks its a PAL game (that is, colours
are OK when you start, OK when you switch to PAL mode (F8) but aren't OK
when you go back to NTSC (F7)).  And sometimes it doesn't seem to work
properly at all - but does the next time its run.  Could be a bug with me...
or Z26.  We'll find out once I get a report from hardware owners who test
these binaries on a Cuttle cart :)

Could some PAL-capable guys let me know how this sprite system looks on PAL
TVs?  The refresh rate is lower on that TV standard, so I'd like some
detailed feedback, if possible.

Attached are a series of images using the latest optimised palette RGB
values.  This is pretty much getting towards the final version of this
system, so I'm more or less interested in hearing now what DOESN'T look
good.  Where possible, each image includes the orignal graphics, so you may
make a comparison if you wish.

Note: The baboon image (actually, it's a mandril) has three circles at
bottom used to calibrate Red, Green, Blue.  These should be as close to
purest colours as possible on any emulator/TV on PAL and NTSC.  So if these
are way off on any viewing, let me know (with the exception of the Z26
problem mentioned above).

The flag binary is a sample animation sequence.  This flag is a bit
stretched from the previously posted animation (using the old flickery
method).

Cheers