Re: [stella] RPG Kernal

Subject: Re: [stella] RPG Kernal
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:55:38 -0500

I think the big problem with doing an RPG without a lot of RAM is if you change the world it has little to no persistence.

For instance, unless you spawn all your monsters and objects dynamically, if you leave and reenter the zone it will pop back to its initial state.

A big problem is that without some way other than a code system to save your place, you can't save much data anyway. And I'm not interested in building or waiting for new hardware.

I don't think it's going to be a big issue anyway. It only takes a single bit to save that you've finished an area/dungeon and monsters shouldn't spawn there anymore, and I can keep a small buffer of the last few monster areas that were cleared so you can backtrack some without having to fight the same stuff again. Plus my monster generation will be randomized, so you may get different monsters or none at all next time you go to the same area.

BTW: I forgot to attach the tile bitmap data file to the source -- it's attached.

-Paul
charData
;	org $F100
charOffsets
	byte <A,<B,<C,<D, <E,<F,<G,<H, <I,<J,<K,<L, <M,<N,<O,<P

	org $F010
	byte <B

A;0
	byte %00000000