Re: [stella] Carefull! Don't Fall In!

Subject: Re: [stella] Carefull! Don't Fall In!
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:09:04 -0400
I'm still not sure where I'm going with this, and I only just realised than Manuel and I were working on something very similar just a couple weeks ago (dhuh!) so it struck me that I doesn't have to be a dodecahedron, I can use just about any regular polygon. So it can be a sequence of rectangles, triangles, etc. (ie: different levels)

Or, cut the bottom off that dodecahedron and it looks a lot like a cave... And I should be able to make forks in the "road" by adapting the current flicker effect that gives the impression of two dodecahedrons on screen at once in -dual (The sequencing in -dual isn't quite right to give a really smooth flow but it's close..). There's almost no noticeable flicker in -dual, particularly on a real tv and particularly if I use more saturated colours as opposed to the "distance dependant" (farther=darker) colours I'm currently using. Actually, running a sequence of different colours through the polygons would probably help reinforce the illusion of movement - Something else to fiddle with! (Go Blue/Green/Yellow/Red with colours getting brighter as they get closer... Hmm, maybe...)

I'm still leaning towards a racing game, particularly if I can do forks and provide alternate routes. However the whole cave thing raises a bunch of possibilities...

The attached Fortress.bin moves up and down with the joystick. Try to move slowly for best effect. No left/right yet, that's a little more involved and I was stuck at the in-laws all day. You know...

The attached Cave.bin is shaped to look like a (hmm) cave. This one uses a sequence that gives the impression of 3 polygons on screen at once, with a saturated colour so with all the movement I think flicker is not a problem.. The sequencing is again not quite right but it gives a good idea of where it's going. This is just a quick hack, the #scanlines per frame is not set properly so it'll roll on real hardware but looks fine on an emu. Would look better with a scrolling floor pattern, but that's why it's WIP...

Chris...