Re: [stella] Brainstorming: Porting Smithereens/Catapult/Stone Sling

Subject: Re: [stella] Brainstorming: Porting Smithereens/Catapult/Stone Sling
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:18:15 +0200
Hi there!

> If that really bothers you (if you need to see the
> "running Odyssey2 guy" with 2 legs visible instead of
> the standing one) I bet you could draw the castles
> using a reflected playfield, use both missiles close
> together for the first guy and have time to reposition
> them in mid-scanline to do the other guy.

Is that actually really possible? Wouldn't that require
something like a VDMX register? Or does it work with
VDEL already?

How about sprites?

I thought about doing "Dog Patch" for a while, with two
double-sprites on each side without flicker by executing
this in one line:

Fill GRP1/2 -> Wait -> Change GRP0/1 -> Hit RESP1/2

But I gave up on the idea, because even if it worked to
show both sprites on the other side again, they'd have a
one pixel gap there, since the second RESP takes 3
cycles resulting in a 9 pixel shift...

> I know someone's been working on and off on a KC
> Munchkin clone for the 2600;

Yes? Tell me more please!

> it'd be interesting to see which one gets to be
> playable first ;)

Hm... All that brainstorming got me really into trying
it. At least I'll try to do the kernel to see if
everything works as planned. Hehe, actually I already
started, but I only have the boulders done yet... ;-)

Greetings,
	Manuel