Re: [stella] SoundSim code..

Subject: Re: [stella] SoundSim code..
From: "Andy Mucho" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:42:02 +0100
It is running at the rate it asks for, by default 64k or so...

That's why I force the primary buffer format which is always hardware in the
setup code, this allows me to set whatever rate I choose, possibly forcing
other apps to be resampled, but not, unless I lose focus possibly.. This is
a huge long and contentious issue, but even with windows kernel mixer in the
pipeline, it'll still do the right thing, and give me, if the hardware can
take it, the real sample rate I ask for with no resampling of my generated
signal, which quite frankly wouldn't make a huge difference..

The main aim of oversampling it by 4 was to reduce the jitter time on writes
to the AUDV controls.. What I intended to do was over sampling by 8, then
uyse a polyphase filer to downsample it 8x to about 32k or so, and end up
with a very close approximation of the real analog output of the 2600..

There wouldn't be much difference really.. With a decent lowpass filter, and
a nice DC remover[1], it shoud should a bit cleaner, but ultimately the
2600s sound generation isn't pretty or clean :) I only did it because of my
lack of appreciation for z26 needing a proper frame ;)

andym

[1] Which I took out of SoundSim because the squarewave hell just wrecked
everything... I intend to redo it properly..