Re: [stella] delayed sound -- emulator or programming glitch?

Subject: Re: [stella] delayed sound -- emulator or programming glitch?
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:38:11 +0200
> I'm turning on the sound as soon as the event registers...
> is there some other trick I'm missing? Or is it just an
> emulator thing? This is the latest version of Windows Z26
> on WinXP, the other emulators might be older though.

The delayed sound in z26 is due to the size of the sound
buffer. You can set your own size with the -s command line
switch. Smaller values would get you a better response,
but might sound worse, if the new buffer can't be filled
quickly enough. You need to experiment a bit. I think a
multiple of twice the number of lines per frame might
get you the best results.

BTW, your current version of the game only does 261 lines
per frame. Odd numbers are bad for getting colours on PAL.
You should add one more scanline to get the normal 262
lines per frame.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg