Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept

Subject: Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 9 Sep 2003 16:17:52 -0000

> I was also thinking about how much RAM it would take to do a 2600 version
> of UNO and I really think it's impossible to do without the SC, or at least
> a Superchip.  There are simply too many cards in the deck.
>
> But UNO was my favorite card game as a kid and it would be nice to do a
> 4-player Uno on the 2600 with paddles, and the visual kernel wouldn't need
> to be too fancy so it's the kind of thing someone might be able to do since
> it's mostly inter-frame game logic.

Independent of programming issues, how do you handle people not being
able to see other people's cards? Just ask them to look away?

Heh, to the casual observer, a dumb-AI (just put anything that matches,
starting as high as possible, without regard to what the other players
may be holding) might be indistinguishable from a good-AI. (In fact,
I probably play with something close tothe dumb AI strategy ;-)

Have you ever heard of a variant called "Hot Death Uno"?  I had an
old Windows version of this back in--1993-4 or so.  It added a bunch
of interesting cards to the deck, like Glasnost that lets you see
someone else's hand, and colorfuly named cards like "the shitter" that
let you do damage to everyone.  I don't think it'd be a good port to
the 2600, but it might be fun to dig up in Windows if you like Uno.

STUPIDITY "Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those that never win
           AND never quit are idiots." --Demotivators, http://despair.com