Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept

Subject: Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:52:05 -0700
At 08:06 AM 9/7/2003, you wrote:
One problem with porting those early games is that it's tougher
to get a "reference" on 'em...they're impossible to find and many
never made it to MAME< given all the custom hardware.

That's more of a reason to port them, since it might be the only way to play even an approximation of them since they aren't ever going to be in MAME.

There has been that whole unMAME project going on for years to try to write simulators for non-CPU games and I haven't heard of any game getting completed yet (although Monaco GP was coming along).

One B+W game I wish I could try is "Tank 8", 8 player tank.
Though I'm not sure if it played more like Combat or more
like early 8bit computer character based games.

It's a color game. Atari starting using color even then when they had more than 2 players because it was getting too hard to visually indicate which player was which otherwise.

I have a flyer of that game. It's like Combat only remember that most Atari games of that vintage supported 320x200 resolution on the objects so an 8x8 sprite is smaller in proportion to the screen vs. Combat so it's a lot easier to have 8 tanks moving around on a very large color monitor without being cluttered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/