Re: [stella] Random Numbers

Subject: Re: [stella] Random Numbers
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:09:54 -0600
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:16:47PM -0000, David Davies wrote:
> Just started on a game for the 2600 based on the 1977 arcade game,
> Depthcharge (well, okay, it's a straight port with added game variations).
> It's my first attempt at taming the 2600, so please be gentle :-)
>
> I've been doing some thinking as to what needs doing on the game. I
> definately need a random number generator. Is there a way of doing that on
> the 2600?

Real random numbers?  What's your source of real randomness?  I guess
you could ask the player to wiggle the joystick or something.

However, given the tiny amount of memory you have, I'd say, use a LFSR,
seeded with a counter that updated every scan line or every frame (which
isn't a real source of randomness, but is probably unpredictable to the
player).

Adam