Re: [stella] Lode Runner

Subject: Re: [stella] Lode Runner
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 1 Apr 2004 12:12:33 -0000
> On Thursday 01 April 2004 00:07, Glenn Saunders wrote:
> > > in some ways. And then javascript would construct a URL to
> > > send the board layout to a CGI script, which could then do
> > > all the "dirty work" and spit out a binary.
> > Two words:
> > Macromedia Flash.
>
> At that point why wouldn't you just use java, for which this type
> of app is strictly remedial code?

I think I prefer keeping the heavy lifting serverside.
I mean, the task is either making a clientside assembler and
assembling the whole thing with the new map code, or some sort
of binary splicing where you take preceompiled code and jam
in a binary version of the new map.  Neither is pretty.

Also, by keeping things servserside, we can easily address
the whole "contest infrastructure" issue; I mean we'll want
something where people can upload/send-in their best work
for judgement; why not just make it a further button press
from what they're already doing.  Not to mention, I think
we should be able to invoke a well known assembler like DASM.

> I mean, I think I like flash better at this point but generating
> and outputting binaries has never been its forte...

So it's now a UI problem, in where the possible solutions are
javascript
java applet
flash or shockwave

I know the first 2, not the second 2.  And in someways, the idea
of javascript appeals, partially because the other stuff is *so*
powerful; I know this might seem goofy, but to a certain extent
I dislike having an editor system that could easily have so much
*more* graphic bells and whistles than the final game.
I'll try to get a proof of concept going this weekend.

"Evaporation is God's paper towel" --Dylan Murray