Re: [stella] INV again, almost final version - inv33104.bin

Subject: Re: [stella] INV again, almost final version - inv33104.bin
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:37:20 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Erik Mooney wrote:

> Too bad the Color-B/W switch isn't three-state so the cartridge could
> just have both PAL-50 and PAL-60 options.  Although, I could probably even
> implement that anyway.  Normally, you get PAL-50 with slower gameplay,
> but if you hold the joystick button while switching the switch to B/W
> you get PAL-60.  What would you think of that?

Can NTSC TVs display 50Hz? I never tried `NTSC-50' mode myself...

If so, you could use Color/BW to switch TV standards (PAL/NTSC) and one
of the difficulty switches for 50/60Hz. That uses the difficulty switch
as the user expects: the game should be easier with the 50Hz timing.

Hm. In fact, (some? all?) NTSC TVs are able to display PAL video in
black & white, aren't they? I remember having a PAL-format VHS tape back
in the 1980s (import from the UK) that I was somehow able to watch on
a standard NTSC VHS deck & TV, in B&W (but then it was an old Dr. Who
from the B&W era of Dr. Who, they didn't start filming in color until
1970 or so, so there wouldn't have been any PAL color signal anyway)...

If I'm right about this (and if I'm wrong, someone will surely correct
me), then the Color/BW switch will give NTSC users a B&W picture in PAL
mode, no?

Or am I completely wrong?

--
B.