Re: [stella] Poll: What is everybody working on?

Subject: Re: [stella] Poll: What is everybody working on?
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:16:00 +0200
Hi there!

I see... ugly movement started when I emplemented fractional speed, maybe
because objects do a 2 lines movement, not single line since I'm not using VDEL. I wonder if VDEL will solve this problem. I don't understand well how it works but I'll read about it.

Hm... I wish I'd still have my old 266MHz machine, where enabling the log would slow any game down so I could analyse all such behaviour.

I even tried generating an animated GIF out of Z26 screenshots, yet I'm not 100% certain if Z26 will skip frames from screenshots or not...

You say "objects do a 2 lines movement", is that *just* the sprites? Because I see rather the backgound as the problem. Or is everything moving two lines at times?

Basically, if your maximum speed is <= 1 scanline per frame, it should look much smoother I think.

Hm... if all your things are always moving 2 scanlines at once, maybe you can shift the start of your screen by 1 scanline every other frame?

So over 4 frames it'd be like this:

1. Display extra scanline | move one step vertically
2. No extra scannline     | don't move vertically
3. Display extra scanline | move one step vertically
4. No extra scannline     | don't move vertically

You see, all objects would move one pixel per frame...

Greetings,
	Manuel