Re: [stella] Meditations on the pause button

Subject: Re: [stella] Meditations on the pause button
From: "Aaron" <stella-receiver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 18:29:33 +0100 (BST)
Edwin Blink said:
> I found a 4K NTSC BIOS and 16K PAL BIOS at:
> http://www.geocities.com/messroms/index.html
> using a hex editor and Keith Henrickson 7800 bios disassembly. I found and
> verified the code that is copied to ram. The first 100 bytes are identical
> for both
> versions. so a signature check on (part of ) them is possible.

Yes, I've been reading the bios disassembly too (and the 7800 docs).  The
copying isn't related to the signature check (I guess?), so it'd still be
in the pal version...

> Hmm, I just realized though that the test won't work when using a
> supercharger,
> cuttle cart or other cart that overwrites Ram before the test can be made.

Damn it Edwin, you're always one step ahead!  I had forgot about the case
when the CC is hooked into a 7800...  that kind of screws up the whole
plan, doesn't it?

-Aaron