RE: [stella] Atari re-releases, 2600 on a chip rumors

Subject: RE: [stella] Atari re-releases, 2600 on a chip rumors
From: Thomas Boutell <boutell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:00:17 -0700 (PDT)
On 8 Sep 2004 KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > work.  If they can do that with the NES, then the owners of the original
> > 2600 chipset could easily have them miniaturized.  I've kind of become a
>
> Not sure but you might be making the assumption that because the 2600
> is a more "primitive" system it would neccesarily be cheaper/easier to
> make an "on a chip" version.  Given all the quirkiness the 2600 has,
> and how some games rely on the most obscure timing stuff, I'm not sure
> if that's true, at least if the goal is 100% emulation.

It may very well be running on 2600-clone hardware.

The 2600-on-a-chip guy made his last announcement on January 25th of
this year. It was cryptic, but suggests to me that his work will be the basis
of somebody's product:

  ... I cannot post the current status of this project, and
  I'm really sorry for that. I think it's safe for me to say
  that this is not just a hobby anymore.

  I just hope the day I post my last comment that most of you
  be happy with the conclusion.

See:

http://www.mindspring.com/~2600onachip/

Has anyone had more recent contact with Mr. Lopez?

--
Thomas Boutell
Boutell.Com, Inc.

Sync my card with your PDA or address book: http://tocard.biz/a7oiljb6