Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format

Subject: Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format
From: Paul Slocum <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:22:26 -0600

That's only true, if you always want to store one game state per
EEPROM block. But what if you had a puzzle game with a level
editor for example, where each level is 60 bytes large.

Then you'll have to figure out how to make it fit into 58 bytes. :o) In the rare case your save data size just happens to fall right at 60 bytes, I'm sure you can figure out a way to compress it just a bit.

I like Alex' suggestion about using a variable-length file type
prefix with a terminator byte. But maybe we could make the file
name variable-length too? If we use 7-bit ASCII for the characters,
then we could use a byte with bit 7 set high as the terminator.
Maybe we could use the other 7 bits in that byte as a counter for
the file name length.

I really don't like variable filename or extension length. I just want something simple. The Atari's RAM and ability to display text is so limited. Some programs won't be able to display other programs full filenames.

With as few programs as there will be using this system, 3 letters should be completely adequate to identify a file type.

And practical issues aside, I would like to see DOS filename format on the Atari 2600 display. :o)

Also I think Alex is right about there not being much need
for a seperate maintenance cart.

It's not crucial, but there's already some need for it. I don't think Man Goes Down includes a way to erase the high scores.

And I think Richard is working on an adapter that lets you
connect your AtariVox to the serial port on your PC. So you'll
probably be able to manage and backup your AtariVox EEPROM there.

That would be awesome.

-paul