Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Jumpman Experiment

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Jumpman Experiment
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufwork@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:48:21 -0500
I'm a bit clueless here anyway, what would you guys think about collission
detection for a Jumpman level? Just to have him move around. How for
example could he walk up or down a ramp or detect that he's near enough to
a ladder now?

I wouldn't use collision detection for this. If you did that then the Jumpman could "hang" off a ladder and still climb. Also, how would you determine he climbed too far vs. the player pushing up in open space?

When I was thinking (aka "pipe dreaming") about writing a platformer for the 2600 in a different life, that was one of my big quandaries. Recall that, at least on the C=64, there were some of those same issues. If you could catch/jump into a platform most anywhere on the Jumpman's body, he'd scurry on up. There were also some strange behaviours with the ladders as they touched platforms and with the "vines"/chains. I doubt any of that was, at least initially, the design, but it made for a better game.

Now, obviously, the C=64 had enough wherewithal to differentiate between ladders and platforms (and the "vines"), so having the PF do double or triple duty is tough, but I was going to start simple (allowing some silly actions like those described earlier in the thread) and see if I got just as lucky.

Ruffin Bailey