Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0

Subject: Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0
From: Kirk Israel <kirkjerk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:05:24 -0400
On 5/16/05, Chris Walton <cwalton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As another newbie 2600 coder (cd-w), I think a tutorial on the various
> vertical sprite positioning algorithms would be a great help:
>
> 1) SkipDraw
> 2) SkipDraw (Illegal OpCode Version)
> 3) SwitchDraw
> 4) Stack Trick
> 5) JSR/BRK Trick
>
> There are lots of subtle issues in these algorithms that took me a
> long time to work out!
> I might have a shot at writing this if I have any spare time.

I'd be very grateful if you took those things on!

Personally, I suspect that one good way for this kind of thing is for
it to be written by a newcomer and then fact-checked by the
veterans...the former group are more familiar with the feeling of not
knowing what the hell is going in.

I think the cookbook is a good format, "problem" "solution" (each of
those a one or two liner) "discussion", "reference", and then
"example" -- ideally ready to compile code, with the relevant bits
highlighted in red, and all the usual boilerplate in black -- that
keeps us honest in our code, and lets the n00bs have the small thrill
of assembling code and seeing the results.