Re: [stella] Stella 2.0 alpha 1 available

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella 2.0 alpha 1 available
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:36:44 -0400
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Adam Thornton wrote:

> Are there any plans at all to make this cross-platform?

Stella has always been cross-platform. Stephen won't allow any new feature
that can't be implemented portably (which is one reason the debugger
uses a custom GUI for the prompt instead of just standard input/output).

> I ask, because I now use Mac OS X as my desktop box; before that, I
> used a Linux box.  So portable solutions are fairly important to me.

MacOS X is explicitly supported (there's a separate directory in the
source for it). Even if it weren't, it would (probably) still be supported
as a generic UNIX platform (it just wouldn't be consistent with other
OS X app user interfaces).

I don't know whether the current CVS debugger code will work as-is on
OS X: the regular OS X maintainer is on vacation, and has been since
before the debugger was started. I can try it out on my Mac, if I can
ever get it fixed (it's overheating. Grr....)

...but the final Stella 2.0 release will definitely work for you. It'll
be a while: the tentative deadline is sometime in the next 2-3 months.

> Although in the grand scheme of things  I think I'm unlikely to
> actually finish another 2600 game, so...

Never say never :)

--
B.