Re: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler
From: Christopher Walton <cwalton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 04:36:14 -0400
> >But I think it would be important to be able to reuse variables as we do in
> >ASM with overlays.
>
> Yes, I didn't think of that.  Does anyone have a good solution to this?

I believe this is the same problem as register allocation in a regular
compiler, which is a classic NP-complete problem.   Most compilers
address this by using a variant of a graph coloring algorithm, first
proposed by Chatin, but things can get very complex.   I would
recommend the comp.compilers group and the classic "Dragon book" for
details:
"Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools", by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi
Sethi, and Jeffrey D. Ullman
Alternatively, it might be best to leave this until later!

Chris