[stella] stella stopping

Subject: [stella] stella stopping
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:22:05 -0400
I think that Biglist has an unsubscribe mechanism that gets triggered if enough messages bounce.  I think that might be the reason some people lose their subscriptions if their email account is unreachable or errors out for one reason or another.  Russ, could you check the admin page and see if there is any kind of setting for this?  If it isn't there, ask Omar if there is a global setting.  In the old days as admin I think I actually used to get an email in my mailbox for every bounce so it would nag me into manually unsubbing zombie subscriptions.

I'd be surprised if Biglist spontaneously unsubbed you for no reason.  I think it had to have had trouble delivering emails at some point in time and jumped the gun to think the problem would never resolve itself.

I haven't tried recently, but Stella stopped sending messages to my Comcast email address some months ago and I was not able to restart delivery under that address.  I suspected that the ISP was doing some low-level screening or blocking of messages before they hit my mailbox but according to Comcast, they were not.  That would be my 2nd guess, ISP filtering.

I wound up subbing again under yahoo for the portability-factor.  If Yahoo filters spam it goes in a folder you can see.  I don't think Yahoo prefilters in a way that would not even allow you to see what got filtered.

We are living in an era of spam, and that can cause spam filtering mechanisms to get a little too overaggressive sometimes.