Re: [stella] Announcing "webTune2600"

Subject: Re: [stella] Announcing "webTune2600"
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:27:37 -0400
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, B. Watson wrote:

> What I did was convert a song to 8-bit unsigned samples, then write
> a little C program that strips off the bottom 4 bits of each sample
> (PC sound cards don't support 4-bit samples natively, so I'm trying to
> simulate them that way). The 8-bit version sounds OK, and my stripped
> version sounds like utter crap.

Make sure you're thowing away the LOW order bits, not the most significant
ones.  And if you have the capability to sample at 15.7kHz it'll simplify
your life when coding 2600 music...you'll need to update the volume register
exactly once per scanline that way.

And if you really want to do it right, you need to low pass filter the source
before you sample it.  With a sampling frequency of 15.7 kHz, you need to kill
everything in your source above 7.85 kHz.  Otherwise, you'll get aliasing and
things will sound weird or just plain bad.

This should work quite well.

-Chris